During the 19th century the veterans organized over twenty Posts in the City of Philadelphia. The largest Post hall was the Memorial Hall established by Post 2 at 667 N. 12th Street. The Post 2 Hall was a magnificent structure composed on multiple meeting rooms, a grand hall, and an extensive collection of artifacts, relics, photographs and memorabilia.
In the mid 1960's the Post 2 Hall was closed and is no longer standing. Several members of the Sons of Union Veterans were able to bring a portion of the vast collection to the Ruan House, the 1796 home of physician Dr. John Ruan that is the former home of the G. A. R. Museum & Library.
In the mid-1980's, Margaret and Elmer "Bud" Atkinson of Philadelphia had a vision of creating a Civil War museum to honor and remember the veterans. The museum then opened for its first visitors in 1985. Since that date, the museum hosted thousands of visitors and presented historical programs and speakers.
In July, 2022 the museum began greeting visitors and researchers at its new location in the historic Lewis-Pattison House (c: 1805) in the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia.
WE REMAIN THE ONLY MUSEUM IN THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA SOLELY DEDICATED TO THE HISTORY OF THE CIVIL WAR ERA. WE ARE ALSO A 501(c)3 NON- PROFIT ORGANIZATION.